Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday DIY Tips and Trends - Holiday Sweater Decor & gifts

Hi All!  I hope you are all rested up from your Thanksgiving and Black Friday weekend!   Now it's time to start pulling out the Christmas gifts, decorations and wrapping paper and start Pulling Together your Christmas holiday!

Yesterday I was talking with friends about plans for decorating my house, not for holidays but just in general, and I was telling them how much I love faux animal heads.  Well, needless to say they were a little freaked out, as many people are when I tell them.  I also LOVE LOVE LOVE cable knit sweaters, so combining the two for my home was a natural attraction for me, but it caused the biggest laugh in my office as we searched for pictures online and ended up finding a Cosby sweater deer head.  They call them "sock heads" and we laughed and laughed for what seemed like hours.  No offence if you do like these patterned sweater deer!  I know not everyone likes all my style selections, so please don't be offended that we laughed until our bellies hurt.  





This is what I was really attracted to for my house:
 Faux Animal Head + Cable Knit Sweaters =  Fantastic & Whimsical Sweater Deer
This one is made by artist Rachel Denny and you can go to her website by clicking on her name. 




So anyway, back to the holiday decorating ideas.  I fell in love with the idea of cozy sweaters used in home decor but I am just so excited about using sweaters for holiday decor!  I mean I saw this cute sweater snowman and thought I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of using something so warm and inviting to draw me into the holiday that is all about love and warmth among family and friends!  I found this amazing DIY project on "The DIY Club" blog and thought it was so cute and easy that I just had to share it with you all as well as try it myself! 

Here is the Sweater Snowman that can help you Pull Together some sweatery sweet holiday decor and/or gifts for your loved ones!!

Supplies:
  • Styrofoam balls (3 different sizes)
  • Gorilla Super Glue
  • Old sweater sleeve (get in your closet or find at second hand store)
  • scissors
  • burlap scraps
  • black pipe cleaner
  • elastic thread

Instructions:
  • Use Gorilla Super Glue to glue the Styrofoam balls together.  
  • Once dry, slide them into the sweater sleeve. 
  • Cut the sweater with a little over hang on each end. 
  • I took a burlap scrap and cut it to the length I wanted and tied it around the neck.
  • On the tall snowman, use elastic thread to cinch the area between the bottom 2 balls. 
  • Use the glue to close off the sweater seams at the top and bottom of the snowman.  (This takes some glue, trimming, tucking and repeating till it looks good) 
  • Roll the black pipe cleaner into the buttons. 
  • Cut the rest of the pipe cleaner with a scissors when you reach the desired button size.  
  • Then glue them onto the sweater snowman. 

Then you up with simple, rustic snowman buddies… perfect for your home or even sweet rustic gifts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment