I just found a recipe for some healthy brownies. HEALTHY????? I know what you are thinking, because I am thinking it too! How in the world can we have something healthy out of something so tasty??
I am still skeptical so I want to test these beauties out myself and share how it worked out and how they taste. I am allergic to nuts so as usual, I have tweaked the recipe to fit my health needs and used the options of seeds rather than nuts or nut meal. You can always use Red Cordial's recipe using the link to the site.
Alright, get ready, get set and well, here it goes....
Chocolate Bean Brownie Recipe
Red Cordial Revolution
This is gluten free and sugar free (if you use stevia), so it is practically a health food.
- 2 tins of black beans (or one tin of black beans and one tin of white beans) – drained and rinsed and then use a whiz ding to mush it to a pulpy paste.
- 4 eggs beaten to a light froth
- 3/4 cup of stevia powder (or a maple syrup and honey combo or 1 1/2 cups of agave nectar)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder mixed into a 1/2 cup of melted butter – make a paste.
- 2 tablespoons of ground Linseed or finely ground seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high.
- Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely.
- Set aside
- Place the beans, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add HALF of the the finely ground seeds to the food processor bowl too.
- Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth.
- Set aside
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the Stevia Powder (or a maple syrup and honey combo or 1 1/2 cups of agave nectar) and beat well.
- Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining HALF of the finely ground seeds, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the seed/salt/chocolate mixture.
- Stir until blended well.
- Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy.
- Drizzle over the brownie batter.
- Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect.
- Place in a lined baking tin and bake for 30-40 minutes at a medium heat.
- Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)
- Leave in the tray to cool and then slice.
*** Try to pull these brownies together on your own and tell me how they turned out for you! I will post how this recipe turns out for me as soon as I pull mine together***